Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thursday is for Tasty Treats


I finally got around to taking some pictures of my California stash and updating Ravelry. I've been trying really hard to budget, which is something I used to be really good at...before I started working in knitting stores. Before then I was content with "blowing" my money on thrift shop books & the occasional latte. Speaking of, it's almost Pumpkin Spice Latte season (MY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR) and I can't even get excited about it because it just feels wrong here. But I'm sure I'll get over it by September 1st.

Anyway. Back to the yarn. When I travel I really enjoy picking up new skeins of yarn and I always try to select things that I haven't seen before or that I know won't be readily available elsewhere. The yarns pictured above, aside from the Plucky, which was mailed to me by my mother, were all purchased in California at a few different shops and events. And almost all of these yarns I've never used before. 



The top three skeins (gray, orange, green) are all from when the Yarnover Truck rolled into town last weekend. I remember reading about the truck when they were first getting started and was majorly bummed because I thought I would never get to check them out. Now I'm cursing the fact that I did get to because they are AWESOME. Seriously, AWESOME. Can you talk about hand-dyed heaven? They have some basic workhorse yarns, but most of the skeins in this sweet little truck are beautiful luxury yarns and a good portion of them are from California. That green skein of Sincere Sheep (from Napa Valley!) is my favorite purchase from the shopping trip and I'm regretting not buying another skein. But they'll be around again and I have to save some for others. 

The creamy skein is Anzula Mermaid from Sheared Sheep in Costa Mesa. It's 60% Sea Cell/40% Silk and utterly gorgeous. I HATE when knitters call yarn "yummy" (really. Knitting pet peeve #1), but this might be an exception. I'm thinking this will be Out of Darkness by Boo Knits to wear with my bridesmaids dress this October. A special occasion calls for a special shawl, dontcha think?

The other non-Plucky skeins are from my new LYS, Alamitos Bay Yarn Company, and the FoxyKnits trunk show. The wound ball is a great little skein of Koigu and I only bought one (budgeting!), so I need to try and be creative. I'm thinking a simple twisted rib slouchy hat? That will be cute. This isn't my usual color scheme, but when I saw it on the shelf I knew I had to have it. The only skein I don't have plans for is the Felted Tweed (in "watery"), but it's a soft tweed so I'm sure I can find something for it.

See? Great!
And the Plucky? Well. It's almost PLUCKTEMBER, so I better start planning soon. But I can focus on that tomorrow...along with these delicious scones. Dark chocolate & pear? Get in my belly.

Photo from Smitten Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment